Vehicle accidents that occur on I-80, specifically along the I-80 corridor, remain a significant traffic safety concern. On this site, numerous I-80 accidents that have led to accident injuries have been summarized. Many of these accidents have led to serious injuries, and in some cases fatalities, for those involved.
On January 11, 2018, there was a “town hall” meeting to discuss the I-80 corridor, which is defined as the stretch of interstate running through New Lenox, through Joliet, to Shorewood and Minooka.
The meeting is summarized in the January 11, 2018 Joliet Patch article titled “I-80 Safety Must Be Addressed Now: Town Hall Crowd.” Notable excerpts include:
The most jarring statistics came from Mary Craighead of the Illinois Economic Policy Institute. Her report analyzed a 16-mile stretch of I-80 from between Ridge Road and U.S. 30.
These statistics, as seen in the article, include:
- A total of 37 fatal crashes occurred between 2001 and 2016.
- The roadway is largely two lanes each way and has multiple narrow bridges lacking shoulders.
- Motorists must drop their speeds to 55 mph between U.S. 30 and Joliet’s Larkin Avenue and 45 mph east of U.S. 52.
- Approximately 20 percent of the total traffic volume consists of heavy trucks.
- Compared to I-80 near Tinley Park, the Joliet-New Lenox-Minooka stretch of I-80 “consistently has higher fatal and overall crash rates.”
- Crash rates are greater and more consistent near Joliet’s Center Street and Route 53.
I-80 Truck Accidents
Will County is notable with regard to the amount of truck traffic that occurs. While there are many reasons for the large amount of truck traffic, among the foremost reasons is the roadway system and its proximity to certain types of businesses in the area.
Individual truck accidents that occur in Will County are discussed in posts found under the “truck accidents” category. With regard to the amount of truck traffic and the number of truck accidents that occur in Will County, the subject is further discussed on the “Will County Truck Accidents” page.
As seen on that page, there are numerous factors that contribute to the severity of truck accidents. A semi truck, due to its weight and length, tends to make an accident involving a semi truck highly destructive. Loss of vehicle control can occur suddenly, as many factors, including suddenly shifting weight, can lead to instability in the truck. The potential for loss of control can increase if certain factors are present, such as adverse weather, sudden congestion, and speeding.
Another issue that has received considerable attention is truck driver fatigue. There have been many serious Illinois accidents involving fatalities in which the truck driver was either impaired by drowsiness or had fallen asleep at the wheel. As seen in the “Will County Truck Accidents” page mentioned above, research indicates that many truck accidents are caused by actions or the condition (impairment) of the truck driver.
Individual I-80 Accidents Involving Injuries
On this site, numerous I-80 accidents that have led to accident injuries include:
- a fatal truck accident in Joliet (September 26, 2017)
- a fatal motorcycle accident in Troy Township (September 2, 2017)
- a fatal rollover accident in New Lenox (August 6, 2017)
- a “wrong-way driver” crash in Minooka (January 29, 2017)
- a truck rollover accident west of Larkin (March 2016)
- a fatal car accident in Morris (July 10, 2015)
- a fatal pedestrian accident near New Lenox (April 4, 2016)
- a fatal car accident in Joliet (July 6, 2015)
- a truck collision in Joliet (May 6, 2015)
- a fatal crash involving a pickup truck in Joliet (May 3, 2015)
- a two-vehicle collision involving a semi truck in Mokena (February 1, 2015)
Steps To Take After An Accident
Should you be injured in an accident, there are many steps that should be taken. Generally speaking, performing these actions helps protect both health as well as legal rights, including the likelihood of getting appropriate compensation for injuries if the accident was someone else’s fault.
10 steps to take after a vehicle accident are discussed on the “Steps To Take After An Auto Accident” page. It is important to take these steps as soon as possible after the injury in order to protect both one’s health and legal rights.
With regard to protecting one’s health, it is prudent to receive a full medical exam if one has been involved in a significant vehicle accident. There are many benefits to going to the hospital for a thorough medical exam after an accident. Such an exam is typically conducted in the emergency room, where injuries can quickly be thoroughly evaluated and properly treated. This hospital visit is also valuable from a legal perspective, as injuries can be properly documented.
The Filing Of An Accident Injury Lawsuit
If a person has been hurt during an accident, and the injuries are the fault of another person, filing a personal injury lawsuit may be warranted. This lawsuit will seek accident injury compensation. [in the case of a fatal accident, relevant parties can pursue compensation for the loss of life through a wrongful death lawsuit.] The lawyers at the Elman Joseph Law Group can help you determine whether a lawsuit should be filed, as well as the types and amounts of compensation that may be expected. Every case is different due to the various reasons, including the specific circumstances of the accident, the injuries involved, and the resulting medical condition.
Free Legal Consultation Concerning Accident Injuries
To get a free and confidential initial legal consultation from the Elman Joseph Law Group, call Tony Elman, Lead Trial Attorney, at (773) 392-8182 at any time.
Elman Joseph Law Group has been handling Illinois personal injury lawsuits for over 25 years. During this time the firm has handled over 10,000 lawsuits. It has earned a reputation for its trial capabilities, which often results in higher accident compensation for its clients.